Monday, November 4, 2013

Fresh Cranberry Mini Scones

Hi Everyone! I hope you've all had a good Monday so far! And if not, I have the most delicious recipe to share with you this afternoon, that's bound to sweeten it up! These Fresh Cranberry Mini Scones are absolutely delicious! The flavors in every bite complement each other perfectly... the pastry is light and flaky, filled with fresh, tart and juicy cranberries and drizzled with a wonderfully sweet glaze! And since cranberries are in season right now, they have such great, fresh flavor. These would be the perfect addition to your holiday table this year, either for brunch or to go with your afternoon tea or coffee! I made these into "mini" scones, which not only makes them into the perfect little serving size (and makes you feel like you can eat more than one since they are small!) but makes them look cute, too!

FRESH CRANBERRY MINI SCONES
(Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver)
*Makes 8 Mini Scones*

YOU WILL NEED:
SCONES
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup (half a stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
3/4 cup Fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1/4 - 1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
Optional: 1 tbs granulated sugar for sprinkling

EGG WASH
1 egg
1 tbs water

GLAZE
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice


DIRECTIONS:

1. Begin by combining the flour, baking powder and salt in your electric mixer bowl. Add the chilled, diced butter and mix until the mixture resembles small peas. Add in the egg and about a 1/4 cup of milk and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms (you may need more more milk, add in as much as you need). Gently fold in the fresh cranberries using a wooden spoon, being careful that the cranberries don't burst.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and form it into a rectangle that measures about 4x11 inches. (There is no sugar in the actual scones, all the sweetness comes from the glaze on top and a sprinkling of sugar on top before they bake, so if you prefer a sweeter scone, just add some sugar into the dough!)

2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and cut eight equal sized triangles out of your rectangle. (You could also just form the dough into a disk, and cut it into eight pieces like you would a pie.) Place the scones on your baking sheet, then refrigerate them for about 30 minutes.

3. Preheat your oven to 400 deg F and prepare your egg wash by whisking together the egg with some water. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash (sprinkle them with sugar if you prefer sweeter scones) and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown. Let cool, then drizzle with the glaze (to make the glaze, simply whisk together the confectioners' sugar and fresh lemon juice). Serve as soon as the glaze has set, with tea, of course! (Note: You can store these in an air tight container, although they are definitely best served fresh! You can also freeze them and bake them off as you need them so you always have fresh scones. If you decide to freeze them, do so without the glaze, and simply drizzle the glaze once you've baked them.)





Happy Baking, Everyone!
I will be linking to THESE wonderful blogs!
Follow Shopgirl on Bloglovin' / Follow Shopgirl on Twitter / Follow Shopgirl on Pinterest 

48 comments:

  1. Are these gorgeous, or what? I can't wait to bake with cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I love baking with fresh cranberries too, I love how flavorful they are! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I'm literally drooling! I LOVE scones with my tea! I have a yummy cinnamon scone recipe that I have made before. I'm definitely gonna have to try these sometime for the Christmas season!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Ann @ Cairn Cottage
    http://cairncottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I love scones with tea too... the perfect combination! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. These look delish - they caught my eye over at the A Stroll Thru Life Party. I must try!
    Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I've never really baked with fresh cranberries; eager to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy! I love baking with fresh cranberries, they have so much more flavor! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. I have been looking for a cranberry scone recipe since starbucks stopped selling them. I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love these, they are one of my favorites! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. These scones look delicious. The fresh cranberries look like little jewels, and the texture of your scones look really light. I love cranberries with orange, so I want to give these a try with some orange zest and an orange glaze. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! These would be great paired with some orange flavors! Hope you love them! Thanks for stopping by, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. These look so marvelous. I love scone recipes and can't wait to try this one! Pinning :) - Thanks for sharing at Time to Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teresa! I hope you love these scones, they are one of my favorites! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. this is the first time i visit your site but i will be one of your permanent visitors because you provide good topics and ideas, i hope you see my blog at Curtain designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jassica! Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. I love scones, and these look beautiful! I was just thinking about trying a cranberry and white chocolate biscotti, but I might have to switch gears and use the cranberries in scones now! :) [#PinItThurs]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Chris! The biscotti sounds really good too, and white chocolate would be great with these scones too! Thanks for stopping by, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. I can never resist buying the big bags of cranberries once fall comes, and I love finding new recipes to use them in! Do you think these would work just as well without the glaze, or do they need the extra sweetness with the tart cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would work without the glaze too, I just like the sweet glaze on top because there isn't any sugar in the scone itself, and it's great with the tart cranberries! Hope you love these scones! Thanks for stopping by, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. I'm so excited to find your recipe Maria! Cranberries seem to "speak" Christmas to me and what a great addition this will be for the holidays. Thank you!

    Blessings, Edie Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Cranberries "speak" Christmas to me too :) I hope you love these! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  12. Looks delicious! I would love it if you would link up to my link party at http://ihearthandson.blogspot.ca/2013/11/show-off-fridays-3.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful scones! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw this on the What's Shakin' party and had to come get the recipe! Definitely pinning for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting fro. sumos Sweet Stuff. My kids love scones so I am definitely going to me trying these out.
    Katrina
    www.kaylaskloset.wordpress.come

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look delicious, I love baking with cranberries this time of year. Visiting from Block party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh, these look so delicious and festive! I've enjoyed visiting your blog this morning - and thanks for your visit to mine at pursuingheart.blogspot.com Enjoy this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sweet comment, Cherry!

      Delete
  18. These are beautiful, Maria! I definitely need to make them because cranberry scones are one of my husband's favorites. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us at Saturday Night Fever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maria,
    These look so good! One problem, I dont like cranberrys. Other than blueberries what else can you suggest to sub for the cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for substitutions... you could use blueberries, or you could use dried cranberries (which aren't as tart) or even raisins.

      Delete
  20. Wow! These are so pretty. I'd love it if you linked these to What'd You Do this Weekend tomorrow.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda
    www.tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woot! You have been featured this week at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I'd love to see you back. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look great! So when you talk about freezing, you mean freezing the dough, correct? Not after they have baked?

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look great! So when you talk about freezing, you mean freezing the dough, correct? Not after they have baked?

    ReplyDelete
  24. These scones are beautiful Maria! Love that pop of color from the cranberries :) Pinned and just shared on Facebook! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look yummy! Discovered these on facebook from Trish - Mom On Timeout^^^^^. Not much of a baker but these make me want to try it for a Christmas treat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would you be able to use strawberries with these directions? I noticed you said not to let the cranberries burst, is that because of the juice?

    ReplyDelete
  27. So don't know what I did wrong (if anything) but these were not at all what I had been hoping for... The scones came out bland and tasteless and boring (and that was with adding sugar to the recipe, and more cranberries). Major disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you didn't like them.

      Delete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs