Monday, October 15, 2012

Traditional Czech Buchty - Sweet Buns filled with Rosehip Jam

Hi, Everyone! I'm so excited to share this recipe for traditional Czech "buchty" (sweet filled buns) with you today! Every time I get a little homesick and miss Prague, I know that cooking or baking something that reminds me of home will cheer me up! These sweet buns are one of my favorites, and just the smell of them backing brought back lots of happy memories of summers at my grandparents' house. Traditionally, the buns are filled with a sweet sort of cream cheese mixture, plum jam or a sweet poppyseed mixture, but since I didn't have any of those I decided to fill them with some rosehip jam (one of my favorites!) These buns are really easy to make, are so light and fluffy and deliciously sweet! Here is how I made them...

TRADITIONAL CZECH BUCHTY
*Makes 12*

YOU WILL NEED:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) instant dry yeast
2 tbs granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 whole egg and one extra egg yolk
Confectioners' sugar for dusting
1 cup jam of your choice!


DIRECTIONS
1. First, combine the flour and sugar in your electric mixer bowl. Next, heat up the milk until it is lukewarm, and add the instant dry yeast to it. Cover and let sit for about five minutes, until its frothy. Set aside.

2. Next, whisk together the egg, extra egg yolk, vanilla extract and oil. With the mixer running, slowly begin adding the yeast mixture and the egg mixture to the flour, and mix until a soft dough begins to form (if the dough is too wet, add more flour). Then, knead for five minutes using the dough hook attachment on your mixer. Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.

3. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out into about a 9x13 inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut the rectangle into 12 equal squares. Drop a dollop of jam in the middle of each square. Grease your baking dish (I used a 6x8inch baking pan) and make little bundles out of each square, pinching down the bottom so none of the jam leaks out. Place the little bundles into your pan (brush the sides of each one with oil - this is very important, it's what helps them bake as buns and not one big cake) and cover and let rise for another half hour.

4. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, depending on your oven, until they are beautifully golden brown on top! (While they are still hot, you can brush them with a little bit of milk just to make them super soft.) Let cool for a couple of minutes, then dust with confectioners' sugar!



Happy Baking, Everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these look Heavenly! I've never seen anything like this! I love recipes that bring back memories of home. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie! I love those recipes that bring back memories too, they just make the food taste all that much better! Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  2. These really do look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing, your whole Blog is making my mouth water and my eyes big, lol. I am following you back so i don't miss a thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look sooo delicious! Cannot wait to give them a go! Thanks for the recipe!
    Have a great day!
    Rebecca
    www.heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! And thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Oh! Super Yum! I haven't had these in years and years-thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good...you did a great job explaining the recipe, but the pictures are the best. I love you home city having visited Prague several times. I can see why you would miss it. Bless you, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look scrumptious!
    I would love to have you share this or any other of your recipes at Wednesday Extravaganza - my Foodie Link Party! Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/wednesday-extravaganza.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. no way you did it!!!im from the czech republic but recently moved to milano italy
    these buchty are the most difficult thing to bake it even for us in the czech republic, good job!!
    kisses
    http://sienastyle.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs