Happy September, Everyone! Even though fall hasn't officially begun, with the arrival of September it feels like it's not too far away, which I'm very excited about! I have a great recipe for a Spinach and Mushroom Quiche for you today! I love making quiche because there are so many different ways you could make it by adding different fillings and still keeping the basic recipe the same. So here is one way to make it!
SPINACH & MUSHROOM QUICHE
YOU WILL NEED:
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 1/2 oz all purpose flour
2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbs ice water
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
10 oz mushrooms of your choice
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1. First, prepare your quiche dough. In your electric mixer, combine flour and butter, until you have a crumbly mixture. Add cheddar cheese and continue mixing, pouring in the ice water slowly. Mix until a nice smooth dough forms (you may need more/less ice water). Once your dough is done, wrap it in some plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Next, begin preparing your quiche filling. Finely chop your onion, and saute on olive oil. Wipe your mushrooms clean and slice them, then add them to the onion and continue sauteing until mushrooms are done. Let stand.
3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, herbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
4. Prepare your baking dish (I used a 9 inch pie dish) by greasing it, and take out your quiche dough. Roll out your dough between two sheets of plastic wrap (that way you won't have a flour mess to clean up afterwards!) so it is large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the pie dish, then carefully place it into the greased dish, and press into sides, trim any overlaying edges.
5. Spoon the mushroom and onion mixture on top of the dough, spread out evenly. Pour egg mixture on top.
6. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F, bake for 45 minutes or until firm. Let cool for 10 minutes, serve with salad!
This Spinach and Mushroom Quiche is absolutely delicious. It's light and creamy, and the pastry will just melt in your mouth. Even though it is vegetarian, it is a very satisfying meal as the mushrooms are "meaty" and make for a great addition! Hope you all love this quiche as much as I do!
Happy Cooking, Everyone! And Happy September!
I will be linking to: