This is a super easy recipe to make Whole Wheat Bread. I don't usually bake bread, and I don't have a bread machine, but this weekend we ran out of bread and I couldn't go out to get any because of the weather, so... the only option was to bake my own! And surprisingly, it was super easy, and I think I'll be doing it more often, adding nuts and seeds, and using different kinds of flour. Plus, nothing compares to the smell of freshly baked bread. Nothing. Here is the recipe:
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
(Adapted from BHG)
Makes 2 loaves
YOU WILL NEED:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups water
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbs unsalted butter
1 1/4 tsp salt
1. In your electric mixer, combine the all purpose flour and yeast. In a small sauce pan, heat the water, butter, brown sugar and salt, until just warm (not boiling hot, as that wouldn't work with the yeast).
2. Combine the flour with the liquid mixture, and mix on low speed for almost a minute, then begin adding the 2 cups of whole wheat flour. Add as much of the remaining cup of all purpose flour as you can (you may not use it all, or you may need more, depending on your dough).
3. Knead your dough for 6 - 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until it's nice and elastic. Once done, place into a large greased bowl, cover and let sit in a warm place for about an hour, until dough has doubled in size.
4. If your dough has risen, punch it down and cut it into two pieces. Form each piece into a rectangular loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise for another 45 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 374 deg F, and bake your bread for 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool a little bit before eating.
So next time you run out of bread and have some time (this is slightly time consuming because you need to let the dough rise), bake your own bread! Happy Baking, Everyone!
I will be linking to: