I have seen so many girls wear these bows in their hair and have finally gotten around to making some of them! They are called Korker Bows and they are easy to make, you can choose whatever colors and ribbon you like, and they look super cute! They would make a nice presents for any girl you know! And here is how they are made...
YOU WILL NEED NEED:
6 - 8 wooden dowels (I used Wilton ones that are 12 in long)
12 - 16 wooden clothes pins (a medium size)
3 different kinds of grosgrain ribbon (you could of course do all different colors)
Baking sheet lined with foil
Metal hair clip
1. First, gather your supplies. I like using three different colors of ribbon, use colors that compliment each other.
2. Next, begin wrapping ribbon around the dowels. Don't cut the ribbon first and then wrap as you may not cut enough off, cut it once you are done wrapping it around. As soon as you wrap it around once, secure it with a clothes pin, and keep wrapping the ribbon around, until you reach the end of the dowel, then secure with another clothes pin. Repeat for each dowel.
3. Now preheat your oven to 250 deg F, and line a large baking sheet with foil. Carefully lay all of your ribbon wrapped dowels on it, and bake for 20 - 25 minutes. It sounds scary to bake ribbon and wooden objects (my husband assured me I wouldn't cause a fire!) but you really don't have to be scared, it bakes at a very low temperature and you won't need to call the fire department! The baking is what makes the ribbon stay curled, which is what we want!
4. While you are waiting for them to bake, you can cover your hair clip with ribbon using your glue gun, as shown in the picture below:
5. Once the baking time is up, let the dowels cool for about 10 minutes, or until they are completely cooled. Then, take the clothes pins off and begin unwrapping the ribbon, it will come off very easily but the curls will stay completely intact! It's pretty exciting!
6. Using your lighter, quickly burn the ends of the ribbon so that they don't fray. (Make sure the flame isn't too big otherwise it will blacken the end of the ribbon.) Then, cut each piece of curled ribbon into three equal lengths (each should be about 4 in long).
7. Now cut about a 12 in long piece of thread and place it down on your work space, and then line up your pieces of ribbon on it in a row (the thread touching the middle of the ribbon pieces) and then wrap the thread around them several times and make a tight knot - it will look like this:
8. Now take your hair clip that you covered with ribbon earlier and using your glue gun, stick your ribbon piece on it securely, let it dry, and then fluff it out so it's ready to wear!
And that's it! You have a great gift for a girl who is gonna love wearing this! Happy Crafting, Everyone!
I will be linking to: