Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Free Form Apple Tarts


There has been so much going on lately, that I've hardly had any time to be crafty, which makes me so sad! Life has been really busy - my husband and I are moving to a new apartment in less than a month, and have so much packing to do! We have been married for almost two years, and I can't believe all the stuff that we have collected in such a short time! So our living room (and all the other rooms!) are filled with boxes, bubble wrap, things to be wrapped, sorted, (some hopefully thrown out or donated...!) and so between that and working at the preschool, all of our other activities (which there are so many of!) and getting ready to travel this summer... there hasn't been much time left for anything else!

Which is why I'm super excited about moving to this new apartment. Not only is it bigger, nicer, and less than a mile from our jobs, but I have lots of plans! Decorating, baking, cooking, crafting, painting, and I'm going to be getting my very first sewing machine! Lots of plans and ideas, and lots of lists of things to make!

Here is a simple recipe to share with you - My free form Apple Tarts! I had a long day at work today, and my husband won't be back till later tonight, so I thought I would make something delicious (that smells really good too!) for him. Only thing - I'm tired and had a long day, it's pretty late and I don't have much in my pantry, but I'm craving something GOOD. Like something REALLY good.

This recipe is PERFECT for nights like this! These tarts take so little time to make, you probably already have all the ingredients, and they are really good! Here's the recipe:

FREE FORM APPLE TARTS


INGREDIENTS:

Dough:
1 cup all purpose flour
6 tbs chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 tbs sugar
3 tbs ice water

Filling:
3 medium sized apples (Granny Smith work well because they are tart)
1 - 2 tbs lemon juice (depending on your taste)
2 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon



DIRECTIONS:

1. Peel your apples, halve and core, then slice thinly. In a bowl, add lemon juice, sugar, and ground cinnamon. Toss well.

2. In another bowl, mix together the flour and sugar, and the chilled butter. Mix until it resembles coarse meal, then while the mixer is still going, add the ice water until dough forms.

3. Cover dough with plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator for a couple 10 minutes.

4. After that, cut your dough in half (it will look like you have hardly any dough at all, but it will be super elastic!) and roll each half into a thin circle (do this between two pieces of plastic wrap, that way you won't get everything all messy with flour!)

5. Begin arranging your apples in the center of each piece of dough, leaving about an inch wide border. Fold the border over the apples, and sprinkle generously with sugar.

6. Bake at 350 deg F for 40 - 50 minutes. Eat warm with vanilla ice cream! SO GOOD, I promise!

Happy Baking, Everyone!


I will be linking to:
The Shabby NestChic on a Shoestring Decorating

2 comments:

  1. I've flagged several free form pies but have yet to make one. I think tonight is the night! This does look simple and delicious.
    Years ago when my children were young my hubby was mayor of our small town. He had several nights of meetings each week. I often made cookies or brownies at 9 in the evening so when he got home from meetings at 10 the house smelled yummy and a treat greeted him.
    This is probably too much info but your post triggered a memory. I always want my home to be inviting. Sounds like you do to. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks! I loved reading your comment, what a sweet memory! Have a great day too!!

    ReplyDelete

designed with love by beautiful dawn designs