It's definitely true that good things come in small packages - diamond rings in little boxes, cute little cupcakes or cake pops.... The "Mini" craze has been everywhere for a while now: mini-desserts, mini-burgers, mini-sandwiches.... You name it there's a mini version of it. Why? Mini is cute. It's more personal. It's more fun.
So why not take one of your favorite comfort food dinners and make mini versions of it for a fun dinner party? The perfect choice - Mini Chicken Potpies! As delicious as a full size, but cuter in a fun little package! Here's my recipe....
Mini Chicken Potpies
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
3 - 4 boneless chicken breasts OR one small whole chicken
1 stalk celery
1 medium sized onion, quartered
Handful of pearl onions
2 dried bay leaves
Sprinkle of dried rosemary and parsley
2 medium sized potatoes, cut into cubes
1 medium leek, sliced
3 medium carrots, two sliced, one cut into pieces for stock
60z mushrooms (White button or Portobello), sliced/quartered
3/4 cup milk
2-3 tbs all purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
10 tbs chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 tbs ice water
1 egg yolk
1 egg yolk
2 tbs cold water
1. To cook your chicken, fill a large stock pot with water, and add celery, a quartered onion, and chunked up carrot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour, or until chicken is cooked through. (You can save the stock for a different recipe for later!)
2. Next, make your crust: Combine 1 cup of flour and 1/4 tsp salt, then begin to mix in 10 tbs of CHILLED butter (when the butter is chilled, your pastry is more flaky and takes better). Mix until it resembles coarse meal, then, while your mixer is running, begin to add 3 tbs ice water, and 1 egg yolk. Mix until dough holds together. Divide the dough into however many mini-pies you are making (this will make 2 medium sized crusts, or 4 very small crusts), and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about an hour.
3. Drain your chicken, and shred it into bite-size pieces. Set aside about 2 cups of the stock, you may need it to create a sauce for your filling.
4. In a large skillet, on some olive oil (or butter), begin to cook your chunks of potatoes and pearl onions (for about 5 minutes), then add leeks, carrots and mushrooms, and cook until all ingredients are soft. Add your seasoning and herbs at this point. Next, add your 2 - 3 tbs flour and stir, then add about a cup (can add more if needed) of the chicken stock, and your milk. This will begin to create a nice sauce, cook until it's thick and bubbly, for a couple of minutes.
5. Divide the filling between your mini-pie dishes equally. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F.
6. Take our your dough, and roll it out into rounds to fit your pie dishes. Place the dough rounds on top of the chicken mixture, and tuck in the edges, the go around with a fork and press into the dough.
7. Make your egg wash, and using a pastry brush, spread it over the tops of the crusts, and using a knife, make four slits into each crust, so that steam can escape while the pies are baking.
8. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes (depending on your oven, watch it carefully) at 375 deg F. Serve warm with fresh salad!
Happy Baking! Hope your Mini-Chicken Potpies turn out great!
I will be linking to...